Thursday, March 29, 2012

On Quality Education

As graduation time nears, high school seniors are contemplating "What's next?" Like the game Life, some will choose career paths while others will continue on the school path. As a proud alum of Iowa State University (ISU), I've been known to suggest reasons for attending there. But I'm quick to point out that I believe one will get a quality education at any of the public universities in Iowa. Often the decision comes down to what field the student wishes to study.

It is with this backdrop that I read about the cuts being made at the University of Northern Iowa (UNI). In tough economic times, difficult choices need to be made in all arenas - corporate, non-profit, and educational institutions. These decisions are never easy and they almost always involve high levels of emotion for those involved. I don't claim to understand the intricate complexities of how these decisions are reached. But in this particular instance, one thing stood out as odd to me - the closing of the Price Laboratory School.

I have no connection to the school, no emotional stake whether it closes or remains open. The reason I find it odd is that it seems so fundamental to what UNI is about. When I talk to young people about how they can get a great education at any of the state schools, I typically ask what they are interested in studying. With good liberal arts programs at all three - ISU, UNI, and the University of Iowa - a solid education is assured. But when I think of each, there are certain programs that stand out. At Iowa State these include veterinary medicine, architecture, and engineering. At the University of Iowa, I think of medicine (UIHC), dentistry, and law. At UNI, I think of teaching. (*)

When corporations look to cut, they often work to retain their "core." They often divest those things that are peripheral so they can invest in their areas of greatest strength. So, if in fact, teaching and education are at the core of UNI, why close a laboratory school that provides an environment for new teachers to hone their skills? I can't imagine the vet med program at ISU continuing without a lab setting in which future veterinarians can learn. Nor can I imagine, medical school at the U of I without UIHC. Yes, future teachers can intern elsewhere, but having a laboratory school on campus provides a centralized location for university students to begin the practice of teaching, while still under the watchful eye of their own teachers (the university professors).

I looked up some information on UNI's own website and ran across this interesting quote from Malcolm Price (for whom the school is named):
"The facilities of the school are essential to the professional education of teachers and give the college a greater opportunity to be of service to the state of Iowa."
For additional historical information about the Malcolm Price Laboratory School, refer to the "Building Histories" section of the UNI website.

Education is a key area of life. Quality education starts with first rate instructors. First rate instructors need appropriate education and opportunities to practice their skills. Whether the Price Lab school remains open or not, I trust that UNI will continue to produce quality educators.
-----
(*) Note: By listing certain programs at each school, it is not my intent to discount the other fine programs. These are just some key program areas that come to mind when I think of each school.

No comments:

Post a Comment